Sunday, September 12, 2010

Take Action #12: Get Over Yourself!

Over the last couple of years I have been feeling sorry for myself (sometimes). My life has turned upside down and everything I thought was going to happen – didn’t. Everything I have ever judged, I have had the “opportunity” to experience. At the moment, my dad is dying, my teenage son is challenging me beyond what I am humanly able to handle, and I lost my hard drive last week.  So, I gave myself a little pity party (other things have happened along the way that I won’t share – but just know, it has been more than “challenging”).

I woke up this morning thinking of my friend Judy. I was thinking that I really need to catch up with Judy – maybe I will find her on Facebook. Then it dawned on me that Judy is sight impaired or blind. I don’t know what or if there is a politically correct way to say anything anymore – but the bottom line is that Judy has lived her life without the ability to see.

Then I started wondering if Judy was even able to “get” Facebook because so much of it is “visual” – the way it is laid out, the videos, the links, the messages, the icons, the ads, the millions of photos, etc. Judy is one of the most amazing women I know. She was the first blind person to host a weekly TV show and has produced and hosted approximately 760 TV shows. You can learn more about Judy here.

Judy was first a friend of my mother. I was going to see Zig Ziglar and other speakers at a huge motivational event in September of 2004 at the Savvis Center downtown. My mom was not going to be able to go and asked if I would meet Judy at Savvis Center with her guide. I was not crazy about the idea because I didn’t really know Judy and I didn’t want to be responsible for anyone. So right after I met the guide, he said he was leaving. Mom neglected to mention the part where I was going to be Judy’s guide for the day. Then I was really agitated. I thought, “I am coming here to get motivated and inspired by all these great speakers, I don’t want to deal with this!” Well that day I was humbled more than I ever have in my life.

Judy taught me how to be a guide – talking her through steps, stairs, turns and people. We also had a great conversation and I was absolutely dumbfounded by “who” she was. I was talking about how I was so excited to hear Zig Ziglar speak and she said “Oh he’s a wonderful man; I interviewed him for my show this morning.” My jaw dropped to the ground. I said "WHAT??? How did you get an interview with Zig Ziglar?" She said “oh we go way back, I just called him and asked if he would be on the show and he said yes. I’ve talked with him before…..” Still a little dazed, I said “You just picked up the phone and called Zig Ziglar???” She indeed did. She is an awesome entrepreneur, mother and business woman. I served with her on the board of NaNa’s House for several years.

I visited the set of her show and was amazed at how she directed the folks around her as her hair and makeup got done, lights set up, cameras, etc. Her guest showed up and she interviewed the guest as she always had – seamless, effortlessly, profesionally. You too, will find her amazing – she has a beautiful family and I have never heard her “whine” about the inability to see. She doesn’t know what it’s like to see, so she is not missing it. I found it interesting when I would drive her home, she would know if I missed an exit, she would know all the restaurants and gas stations and streets as I was passing them.

Isn’t that how life is? I went through childhood moving every year – sometimes twice a year. I didn’t know anything else. I thought that was normal. I thought living in one house your entire life must be boring. A person with a handicap does not know what it is like to not have the handicap. Recently, I was sent a video on Facebook and was reminded of the guy who has gone through life without limbs – Nick Vujicic - again, amazing. I have a client, Gerry Davidson with Century 21 Prestige who continued to operate her business while suffering from esophageal cancer. She came into the office even while undergoing treatments, motivated her team and kept showing and selling houses. She was always positive and never complained or talked about her illness unless someone asked, and she always said she was blessed. If anyone had an excuse to be mad at the world or God, she certainly did. As far as I know, she is in remission and doing awesome – although she would continue to operate as usual even if the cancer was back.

I challenge you to really think about how you are “challenged” and take into account the stories of these folks and Get Over Yourself! Someone always has it worse than you and be thankful for what you do have – even if at the moment you feel like there is nothing to be thankful for. Surely you have food, shelter, clothing and someone who loves you. You can’t take it with you – so cherish the day!

Here’s to Taking Action by being Thankful!

Angela

2 comments:

  1. Angela--
    Thanks for sharing. Take Action #12: Get Over Yourself. Loved the personal story as it was inspirational.

    As for me, I had to learn that it wasn't "All About Me". Less of the selfish angle when I reference "All About Me". But, more about the things that happened around me that it wasn't "All About Me" that:

    #1. ... some treated me (and others) a certain way.
    #2. ... I heard what I heard that was possibly (or not) directed at me.
    #3. ... I could have what I wanted when I wanted (spoiled side) especially when it pertained to careers.
    #4. ... life isn't always played on an even ground but be happy to be in the game.
    #5. ... God bless my family and circle of friends to have positive / happy spirits even when they're down or there seems no way out.
    #6. ... a large family has to share time, space, peace, laughter, prayer, and money (sometimes but not too often).
    #7. ... don't take everything too personal as, often, others might not even know that what they are saying or doing even bothers you.

    Simple?

    Takes time.

    Takes reminders.

    Again, thank you for sharing. I believe that we're aligned a number of common points.

    Rob J>
    acommon1 humble moment of just being there
    uma pessoa boa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I am here Angela...and yes I did work today. Today is all I have, and I am so blessed to have it. I love your 111 Ways to Take Action...They are so inspirational.....Thanks for sharing, and who you are to our community.....Gerry Davidson

    ReplyDelete