Saturday, September 18, 2010

Give the Guy a Buck - Take Action #16


This week I was driving in the city and passed one of those guys with the sign that says “Hungry, Homeless”.  I must pass these folks at least 3 times a week.  In fact when I was in San Francisco, I saw a person begging every 3 blocks.  AND a couple of the men had a sign “Why Lie, I need a drink” – gotta give them credit….or it was a great marketing ploy.  One lady’s sign said “Need food for my dog” – to appeal to the animal lovers out there.  A young guy had one “Poor college student.”  Anyway, I never usually give to these guys.  But for some reason a couple of days ago, I reached out the window and gave the guy $2 – he was so appreciative.  I’m not sure how I feel about it because you never know if it is a scam to buy a pack of smokes or beer or if they really have 10 kids at home that are hungry.  Either way, every once in a while we need to help someone.  We can’t control what they do with the money, we just hope they use it for good - and really, what's a dollar or two?
If you are not yet financially supporting a non-profit, church, ministry, or organization, today your Take Action to-do is to find an organization you can support.  I strongly believe that in order to receive more in life, we need to give.  Some good organizations run by some awesome people and friends are below.  If you can’t give financially, how about time?  Our time is worth $/hr – so give some time in lieu of money.  These organizations always need money.  AND if you give to a 501c3, it is tax deductable – unlike the couple bucks I gave to the homeless guy at the corner of Grand and 44.
I also got some great feedback from friends on Facebook about Generation Big, which is a book about how Big people are changing the world.

Take Action by Giving Back!

No comments:

Post a Comment